aside Applying For Work And Holiday Visa To Australia

Australia – doesn’t it just sound exotic!

I have met plenty of travelers who have been to this remote continent and each and everyone of them absolutely adored it. It’s now time for me to explore the beautiful land from down under (my visa application has been approved yaay) I’m super excited and can’t wait to write all about it! If it’s your dream, too, to see kangaroos and koalas (snakes and spiders) then the first step will be to apply for Australian Work And Holiday Visa!

Work And Holiday Visa Australia

The visa I applied for is Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) however depending on the country and preferences, there might be other options available as well. If you are from:

Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, USA or Uruguay  (soon also Slovenia),

then you can also apply for Work and Holiday Visa (Sub 462). There are two main requirements: you must be at least 18 but not yet 31, and not have a dependent child with you at any time during your stay in Australia. There is an annual limit to the number of visas issued to each country so make sure you check how many visas are still available (click here for details).

You can find all the detailed information on and here it is in a nutshell:


There’s a hell lot of documents (see official checklist) you have to prepare which might be a big headache but not impossible so read on and don’t give up as yet..

– certified copy of passport

-certified copy of birth certificate/ID card

– certified copy of diploma (minimum bachelor’s degree) or evidence of relevant qualifications (officially translated into English if non-US)

– two photographs signed at the back

non-US citizens – home government support for the application (you can find details regarding where to get it from here) – originals not copies

– evidence of sufficient funds (AUD 5000 + some 1000 for a return flight) so a bank statement(get everything else sorted first, the more recent bank statement the better)

*Tip: If you don’t have 6000 dollars, ‘borrow’ it from family and friends for when you need the bank statement printed, then kindly return it:]

– unless you’re a USA citizen, you need to prove you speak, write, read and understand English so you must take one of the English tests (IELTS, OET, PTE Academic or TOEFL) no more than 12 months before submitting the visa application (if it’s IELTS then you need to pass with minimum of 4.5 points (50%) Cost: around US 230 … p r i c e y …

– completed form 1208 (downloadable here)


Work & Holiday Visa – AUD 420 (+4.54 credit card payment)


Once you have all the documents ready, you need to send them to the Australian Embassy (check locations for each country) and wait for the verdict.. max 3 weeks*

*If you have lived or travelled in Asia, you might get asked to have a chest x-ray done (at one of given medical centres) to make sure you don’t have TB (tuberculosis). It happened to me…the x-ray not the TB. Cost in the UK: GBP 90! ;(

There are agencies which can help you apply for your visa. If you don’t mind paying their agency fee then it might work better for you to let them do all the work (making sure your application is filled in correctly, getting the government approval, sending your application  and keeping in touch with the Embassy on your behalf).


You have one year from the start of the visa to enter Australia and once you enter you can stay there for one year.

It’s a multiple entry visa which means you can leave and come back as many times as you want within the year.

You can work for up to 6 months with each employer.

You can study for up to 4 months.

You can travel for up to a year🙂

 Good luck and if you have any questions, just type them in comments!



  1. Interesting how travellers get this paperwork ready when the do backpacking for a year? My workmates son backpacked India and Thailand with intention to get to Australia. Do u know is it possible to get paperwork done when u land?

    • As far as the Work & Holiday Visa is concerned, you must apply from outside Australia and can only enter after your visa has been approved. There are tourist visas (some free of charge) available, too, just not allowed to work on one:-)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s